Thursday 16 August 2018

review: death of a bachelor


it's ridiculous how much i currently like this song...

but i do

the music style is amazing... it's a mish-mash of every random thing: it's slightly jazzy (instrumentals in the verse), a little pop-y (chorus), somewhat techno-ish (interlude) and a touch R&B (the bass line has me swooning)? i'm not a professional song analyser-deconstructor person, neither do i claim to be a diehard P!ATD fan but yeah

the lyrics, i'm not so much a huge fan of. it's got a couple metaphorical lines (which is always fun) like: "death of a bachelor," "watching the sky fall," and my favorite, "the lace in your dress tangles my neck" but he transitions between pov's and jumps around on the timeline. meaning, the song isn't chronologically arranged... i pay quite a bit of attention to song lyrics so if it's jumbled, i tend to get distracted. it could be just me because i don't follow the singer and i'm not aware of his life happenings during song composition but i don't know. examples:

he's fast approaching married life and suddenly he's "alone at a table for two..." my best guess is that he's reminiscing the older times when he would go on date with other girls?

also, for most of the song, he seems to be singing to his wife ("the lace in your dress") then out of nowhere, he's asking someone to "smile even though you're sad..." I believe he's addressing his old bachelor self who's sad because he's leaving the life of singleness behind which is kind of a super interesting emotion to describe, tbh

but he used the phrase "playing hooky" so i'll give him a plus point for that :)

i must say though, the tempo is perfect. it fits the mood of the song amazingly and is awesome for slow, soulful waltzes around the room or just grooving to by yourself in the car

the vibes are my favourite part of the whole thing. the rewind-y sound in the intro gives me an "old-school" feel for some reason while the techno interlude part does great at hyping up the song. throw in the Sinatra-esque vocals and bam - death of a bachelor

the lyrics:
do i look lonely?
i see the shadows on my face
people have told me i don't look the same
maybe i lost weight
i'm playing hooky
with the best of the best
put my heart on my chest (pull my heart out my chest) i can't figure out which it is
so that you can see it, too

i'm walking the long road
watching the sky fall
the lace in your dress tangles my neck
how do i live?

the death of a bachelor
oh oh oh
letting the water fall
the death of a bachelor
oh oh oh
seems so fitting for
happily ever after, woo
how could i ask for more?
a lifetime of laughter
at the expense of the death of a bachelor

i'm cutting my mind off
feels like my heart is going to burst
alone at a table for two and i just wanna be served
and when you think of me
am i the best you've ever had?
share one more drink with me
smile even though you're sad

i'm walking the long road
watching the sky fall
the lace in your dress tangles my neck
how do i live?

the death of a bachelor
oh oh oh
letting the water fall
the death of a bachelor
oh oh oh
seems so fitting for
happily ever after, woo
how could i ask for more?
a lifetime of laughter
at the expense of the death of a bachelor

here's the music video which is just brendon hanging out in an empty ballroom
and here's dodie's amazing jazzy cover because duh

thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

something on your mind? comment here :)